Habib ‘Umar bin Hafiz – Advice on Duas to Read During Pregnancy and Labour
Students of Habib ‘Umar bin Hafiz collected this list of recommendations for women and families who are pregnant or struggling with infertility. They divide the recitations and litanies into three separate categories in order to maximize benefit.
- Surah Inshiqaq (Surah 84) – to be recited daily throughout the pregnancy
- Surah Luqman (Surah 31) – to be recited daily during the 1st trimester when the baby’s brain, mental faculties and nervous system are developing
- Surah Yusuf (Surah 12) – to be recited in the 2nd trimester when the child’s physical appearance is forming
- Surah Maryam (Surah 19) – to be recited in the 3rd trimester as labour approaches
- “Ya Lateef” – to be recited 129 times every morning and evening
7th Month Only
- The husband should recite Surah Inshirah (Surah 94) 152 times on the baby
- The first ayat of Surah al-Fath’ (Surah 48)
- “Ya Lateef”
- Surah Maryam (Surah 19)
- Surah Inshirah (Surah 94)
- “As salaam Alaikum ayuha-nabee wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu”
- Reciting all our adhkar and awrad everyday and praying as many prayers in congregation with our spouse for the sake of our children, according to Shaykh Muhammad Ba Shu’ayb
- Reading as much Qur’an as possible
- Sending salawat on the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in abundance – in particular Salat al-Tunjina’ and “As salaam Alaikum ayuha-nabee wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh”
- Babies are said to be able to recognise certain sounds and music from their time in the womb. Thus, reading texts such as the “Book of Assistance” by Imam al-Haddad, is advised to improve recognition.
- It is also advisable for pregnant women to look at pictures of the Ka’aba when they are too tired to actively engage in ibada, according to one of the Habaib.
Infertility Issues -For Those Trying to Conceive Children
- Recite Surah Fatiha (Surah 1) 41 times in between the sunnah and fard of the Fajr prayer.
- Recite verse 38 of Surah Imran (Surah 3) as many times a day as possible.
Source – SeekersGuidance